Civil Engineering Department
Civil Engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings. Civil engineering is traditionally broken into a number of sub-disciplines. It is the second-oldest engineering discipline after military engineering and it is defined to distinguish non-military engineering from military engineering. Civil engineering takes place in the public sector from municipal to national governments and in the private sector from individual homeowners to international companies.
The Department of Civil Engineering has been in existence in IEC College of Engineering and Technology since 2008 and has grown into a full-fledged department. The departmental activities embrace Planning, Design, Construction and Management. The Discipline of Civil Engineering offers four years undergraduate B.Tech. Program and two years postgraduate M.Tech program.
This course is approved by AICTE, Ministry of HRD, New Delhi (India) and affiliated to Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam Technical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh (www.aktu.ac.in) formerly UPTU (Uttar Pradesh Technical University). To build a strong theoretical and practical foundation of Civil Engineering, students are provided deep knowledge in the field of structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, transportation and bridge engineering, water resources and hydraulics, surveying, structural design and drawing, environmental engineering, construction technology and management.
The Department of Civil Engineering includes the following laboratories with modern and advanced equipments and software.
- Auto Cad Lab
- Building Material and Construction Testing Lab
- Building Planning and Drawing Lab
- Computer Aided Design Lab
- Engineering Geology Lab
- Environmental Engineering Lab
- Fluid Mechanic Lab
- Geoinformatics Lab
- Geotechnical Engineering Lab
- Hydraulics and Hydraulics Machine Lab
- Structural Analysis Lab
- Structural Detailing Lab
- Surveying Lab
- Transportation Engineering Lab
- Concrete Lab
The vision and mission of Civil department are as follows:
To be a Centre of excellence globally that brings out civil engineers with high technical competencies and promotes high-end research to meet the current and future challenges in civil engineering.
- To impart quality technical education and training to the students to make them competent Civil Engineers and thereby contribute to National development.
- To promote quality education, research and consultancy for industrial and societal needs.
- To provide Industry Interaction to facilitate students.
- To organize development program for faculty and student.
- To develop alliances with R&D organizations and various values added programs to enhance their technological knowledge
- To make capable for identifying, analyzing, preparing and solving different challenges of Civil Engineering.
- To encourage students to pursue higher education and take competitive exams and various career enhancing courses.
The Civil Engineering Program has the following outcomes as program educational objectives as:
- An ability to apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and Civil Engineering principles to the solution of complex problems in Civil Engineering.
- An ability to select the appropriate construction materials on the basis of experiments of the Civil Engineering practice.
- An ability to draft, draw and design the Civil Engineering components.
- An ability to design structures, components, or process to meet desired needs.
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary technological teams.
- An ability to apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the Civil Engineering practice.
- An ability to communicate effectively with written, oral, and visual means.
- An ability to use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions related to Civil Engineering problems.
- An ability to enhance knowledge of contemporary issues.